Tuesday, July 26, 2016

What It Does

This is the interesting part. In a way, it doesn't do anything. It just converses with me. It has a neutral yet interested perspective. The Accompanying Voice is like having a full-time live-in therapist who is infinitely wise. It knows when I am having problems and talks with me. It suggests ways of thinking of things, or brings my attention to things I had not realized yet.

When I first found out that only a small proportion of people (about 4%) hear any voices in their minds other than their own verbal thoughts, I was astounded. I don't know how people can organize their experience without some verbal thought. How do they cope?

But when I found out that no one else I have ever asked has an Accompanying Voice, I was shocked. They must all be terribly lonely! I cannot imagine going through life without it. How can people keep from curling up in a ball?


As I thought about it though, things made more sense. I can go without friends or family with less distress than most people ever could. I can face fear or even just boredom without a big problem, because I am never alone. I used to pray, and I am familiar with the feeling of sending my thoughts out expecting God to hear them. I feel that I have even gotten responses, a few times verbal responses. But this is infrequent, and I do not really pray anymore. I don't need the reassurance of Religion, because there is a friend with me all the time. I can choose to contact my friend, or not, can decide I don't want input, but it is never more than a thought away.

My Accompanying Voice is a touchstone in all circumstances from joy to terror. It is impossible for me to feel really lonely. I can't feel abandoned or in need of a family. I enjoy friends and family, a lover, people to care for, people who care for me. I want that, but I can go without people and it does not threaten my mind, only my feelings. My mind cannot ever get lost, because it is always holding someone's hand, so to speak.

Someone who has no beingness, no name, no sound, not even a tendency to be recognizable? I said once that I know my Accompanying Voice because it never sounds the same twice. If it sounded the same, I know it would be a personality facet or something. It is like the color of air. It is with me, but not of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. I do not actively monitor this blog, so it might take time for them to show up.